Most Cambridge property owners know to get more than one estimate before taking on a large or unique home improvement project like flat roofing. But what do you do when the estimates for a flat roofing contractor in Cambridge come in? How do you know which one is the best choice?
What To Look For In An Estimate
The first thing you need to look at when you have multiple estimates in hand is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. That means making sure that the estimates include similar products and services. In terms of flat roofs, make sure you are comparing the same service across contractors. There are different types of flat roofing products, which can affect the cost estimate you receive from a flat roofing contractor in Cambridge. Built-Up Roofs will have a different cost than those made of Modified Bitumen or Rubber Membrane for example.
Assuming you are looking at estimate for similar work, next evaluate:
- The Clarity Of The Proposal. Cleary written proposals leave little room for change once signed. A detailed estimate with line item pricing shows that the flat roofing contractor in Cambridge is thorough and likely to have prepared an accurate estimate. All estimates should include:
- The type of roofing material to be used and the installation method.
- A full scope of work to be done. For example, will the contractor be tearing up the old roof or simply going over it with new materials?
- Flashing and ventilation work.
- Approximate start and complete dates.
- Payment policies.
- Warranty information. Does it cover the product only or is there also a workmanship warranty? How long does it last?
If you do not understand anything about the estimate, do not be afraid to ask or clarification. A reputable flat roofing contractor in Cambridge will be willing to work with you to help you understand the proposal.
- The Contractors Reputation And Experience. Most construction companies fail within 5 years. Companies that have been around for more than 10 years have proven themselves. They would not have survived if they had been installing poor quality roofs or ripping off customers. Always check the local BBB to see if there are any complaints against the roofer. You can ask the contractor to provide references and check resources like Angie’s List for feedback, too.
- The Amount Of The Estimate. Be wary of estimates that are well below the others you have received. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Many unethical contractors will low bid projects. You might get a good deal on the price, but chances are you will not be able to find them afterwards to correct any problems or to take advantage of the warranty. The roofing industry is especially vulnerable to these “storm chasers” who are only interested in a quick sale. Check to make sure the contractor has an actual physical address. This is added insurance that the company is reputable and will be around when you need them.
Contact The Roofman, Flat Roofing Contractor In Cambridge, For A Professional Estimate
The Roofman has been a flat roofing contractor in Cambridge since 1981. During that time we have installed and repairs thousands of roofs across Massachusetts. We specialize in the application of Modified Bitumen, TPO, BUR, EPDM, and Duradek flat roofing materials.
Contact The Roofmanfor flat roofing estimates, inspections, and advice at 519-744-3830.