By scheduling an annual inspection with a qualified roof contractor, Waterloo homeowners can stop small roof defects from growing into big, expensive problems. Once the snow is gone, it’s an ideal time to schedule your annual roof inspection. Winter’s icy conditions can cause all kind of damage, small and large to your roof, and discovering them sooner, rather than later, prevents that damage from compounding into major structural problems you will have to pay to repair.
An Ounce Of Prevention
If you can see defects like missing or warped shingles on your roof, from the ground, it’s obviously time to call a roof contractor for repairs. But some roof defects are less obvious, and you will not spot them unless you are actually on the roof, and know what you are looking for. That is why it is important to have a qualified contractor inspect your roof at least once a year.
- Flashings – The sheet metal parts keep water from entering your home’s structure anyplace a vertical surface meets the roof surface, like the sides of a chimney or where a wall meets the roof. Specialized flashings also protect places where two roof planes meet to form a valley where water and debris might gather. Ice can easily bend flashings out of shape during the winter, leaving your home vulnerable to leaks, rot, mold, insulation damage, insects, and even rodents.
- Lifted Nails – If any of your roof’s nails got lifted over the winter, your barrier against water is compromised, and you are more likely to sustain wind damage. This is a simple fix, if you get to it in time.
- Damaged Boots – The plumbing pipe vents on your roof are sealed with flexible boots. Over time, these crack and tear and let the elements work their way beneath your roof surface.
- Caulking – Some flashings and boots are sealed with caulking, to ensure total weather proofing. This specially-developed elastomeric caulk is designed to withstand a lot of abuse from the weather, but it does need to be removed and replaced periodically.
- Moss And Algae – These tend to show up as the weather warms. They are unsightly at best, and can hasten the decay of your roofing materials, so it is important to eliminate them as soon as they appear.
- Debris Removal – Have any debris removed from your roof surface during your inspection, and also have your rain gutters and downspouts checked and cleaned or repaired, if necessary.
- Tree Damage – If the branches of any trees have been allowed to grow too close to your roof, you may find that extreme weather conditions have whipped the branches into your roof and caused damage. Your roof inspection should include a search for tree damage, and your inspection report should note any tree branches that need to be dealt with to prevent additional damage.
Hire Experienced Professionals
If you are looking for a qualified roof contractor in Waterloo or the surrounding areas, The Roofman has more than 35 years’ experience in maintaining and repairing all types of roof surfaces. Our inspection and assessment service includes a thorough and detailed report with photographs, so you can see the issues we are pointing out. If your roof needs maintenance or repairs, we will offer a detailed proposal for the work that needs to be done. Contact us online or call us today at 519-744-3830 to schedule your annual roof inspection.